Monday, November 15, 2010

Baby You're a Firework

Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament on 5 November 1605 and failed. To celebrate his failed attempt every year his effigy is burned on a bonfire usually accompanied by a fireworks display. Tom excitedly told me about Bonfire Night quite possibly in the first few days of me living in London so we decided to celebrate.  On 6 November we invited some friends to the flat for mulled cider and LOTS of cupcakes and then went across to Battersea Park for one of the best fireworks displays I have ever seen.

Before I tell you about the party and the fireworks I need to tell you about the preparation for the party.  Tom and I drove to ASDA (a supermarket chain owned by Wal-Mart) as we figured that it would be our best bet for all our party needs.  Let me tell you, ASDA in Clapham Juntion is not the place to be on a Saturday afternoon...is any super store really where you want to be on a Saturday afternoon? We gathered all the supplies we needed there, then hit Whole Foods for some pumpkin puree (for some yummy pumpkin cupcakes and a soon to be cooked pumpkin pie!) and went to the party store for decorations.  Once returning back to the flat (with a million bags in hand) we began baking. I have to hand it to Tom, the boy mixed every little bit by hand!  We had quite the system going on, I measure the ingredients as well as read the directions and he mixed, poured and put in the oven, once of of the oven I put on the icing. We made chocolate cupcakes, pumpkin cupcakes and brownies.  At one point Tom said, as he was cleaning up powdered icing sugar, that he felt like the police were coming up in the lift to bust us for a drug ring we were running.  We managed to get everything sorted and decorated before the first guests arrived. Luckily enough, the first guests to arrive were my friends b/c I was still in my robe and sweat pants due to rushing to get everything ready ontime :)

Now it was party time, we had all guests accounted for, the cider was flowing and the food was being eaten. it was time to head to Battersea Park!  It cost £6 to get into the fireworks which struck me a little odd at first as any fireworks I have gone to are usually free.  Well, when I saw the display I understood why they chared for entry, the display was spectacular!  It was all choreographed to music and reminded me of the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas in that aspect and it lasted for about 15 minutes. At one point I think I was literally standing there with my mouth wide open in awe. Everyone was singing and dancing to the music and truly enjoying the show.  I couldnt tell you how disappointed I was when it ended as I could have sat there for hours watching it.  Later, after the fireworks, a group of us walked back to our flat for more cider and cupcakes...I can't think of a better way to end the night, with good company and good food!

"Boom boom boom, even brighter than the moon, moon, moon"
Caroline and me pre-fireworks
Ina and me as some rockets are "red glaring"
Our group enjoying some sparklers
The Host and Hostess with the Most and Mostest

No comments:

Post a Comment