Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Happy Anniversary

It may not seem all that exciting to you, but today marks my 1 month Londoniversary! I can't believe it's been a month already, where did the time go?  To commemorate this day I did something that makes me feel like I really live here...I got rid of my pay as you go cellphone and now I have a real contract phone.  My iPhone is now fully functioning just like it was in the US.  I can use all my apps and check my email and not get that annoying "your balance is..." message every time I send a text.  I'm a big girl again :)

Last night may very well have been my favorite night here in London.  I cooked dinner...yep, thats right, I cooked again.  This time I decided I wanted to whip up an arugula and goat cheese salad so I looked online for recipe ideas and added to it. I'm totally going to admit to the fact that I had to call my mom up and ask her how to cook chicken, I'm not ashamed!  I marinated the chicken breast in a honey dijon dressing and baked it. Then while the chicken (which turned out perfect by the way) was cooling off I washed the arugula leaves and added cherry tomatoes, dried cranberries, toasted pine nuts (that I toasted myself too) and goat cheese. Then I used the honey dijon dressing to top the salad off.  I have to say I was really impressed with it. I know it's only a salad but to come up with the stuff to put in it, I was impressed.  Tom was equally impressed too with the flavors that I included.  1 point for Jean in the kitchen!  For dessert I introduced Tom to s'mores.  My friend Laura send us over a package with the makings for s'mores since Tom had never had them before and we made ghetto style s'mores over the gas stove in the kitchen.  They were amazing.  I used to do the same thing for my old roommate Caroline and I when we had the makings but didn't want to light up the firepit in the back yard.  Gas stoves can come in real handy I tell you!

The note from Laura


Preparing the masterpiece


Look at that perfect marshmallow


About to try his 1st ever s'more


The young padawan learns well


Due to the sugar rush from eating the s'mores at 10pm last night I ended up getting a concert performance from Tom.  It began with a serenading of Phil Collin' "Take a Look at Me Now" and went into "A Whole New World" from Aladdin (which I happily sang Jasmine's part) and ended with the Moulin Rouge version of "Your Song"  I have not seen Tom let loose like that since I have been here. I mean we have certainly had our fair share of stupidity in the flat but it's usually my doing, but to have the tables turned and it be Tom making an ass of himself...it was brilliant!  I have not laughed like that in a while. It was hands down one of my favorite nights, if not my favorite night so far, here in London.

2 comments: