Friday, July 30, 2010

I Should Really Get Out More

Since Laura and Tom flew to the US, I have been left to my own devices here in Londontown and it hasn't been too bad.  I have been doing quite a bit of walking which is nice since I was home for a month and was back to driving everywhere. I find that walking around in London is really enjoyable.  I won't lie and tell you there aren't some areas that totally suck to walk through because of all the tourists, but I'd much rather walk than take a bus or the Tube. Because the area where I live doesn't have a Tube station close by I am taking the bus pretty regularly. The buses near me are great too because they go to places that I frequent like The Globe, Sloane Square (Kings Road area), Oxford Circus...it's great.  Im sure that will all change when the weather gets cold but let me tell you, they don't have any weather controls in the Tube so right now with the weather being so warm the Tube is sweltering and I can't imagine it's going to be any different in the winter.  In New York in the Summer the trains are always freezing and I usually always had a cardigan with me, just in case.  In the winter though, the heat is on and there you are bundled up and you get on a hot subway train, with 100's of other people and you feel like you are going to pass out from the heat.  I can imagine it's going to be something like that here.  Although, I still thing that I will do more walking.

The past couple days I have been concerned with being bored or lonely but I have been doing pretty well.  Yesterday I met up with my friend Lisa for coffee and some chat. Lisa is a fellow American living in London, she married a Brit and has been living here now with her husband, son and pets.  She has been such a useful source of information and so helpful with getting me settled before I even moved over.  We met back in April when I was over visiting and she told me all about places to look, what websites are great, she helped answer banking questions and phone questions.  She's be great! Today I met up with Cate who is another fellow ex-pat who moved over here for love.  She is married to a Brit as well but is originally from the west coast. Cate is the editor-in-chief of Bitch Buzz which I highly recommend you check out!  Cate and I met through our mutual friend Laetitia back in April as well.  We sat and had tea and cupcakes and this really quaint little bakery called Ella's Bakehouse in Covent Garden where we paid £2.60 for a cup of tea and a cupcake...can't go wrong there! While we sat in Covent Garden we were assaulted by pigeons and tourists alike.  We were laughing though because although we live in London (Cate much longer than me) we could still be considered tourists! I have a feeling this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)

**excuse my writing tonight, I feel like it's very abrupt. It's been a weird night, with a few stresses that I'm working out and while all that happening I tripped a breaker in the fuse box, all the lights went out in the flat, I was using my phone as a flashlight b/c I didn't know where any were and I couldn't for the life of me find the fuse box.  Finally after about 5 minutes I located it and everything is back in working order, but I did have a moment of panic when it all went down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment